Home for Peace

14_0704-LC-86_rev.jpg

Title

Home for Peace

Description

CED students initiated a community outreach program to mobilize local anti-war sentiment – an easy sell, given the growing radicalization of town residents.
In response to the “guerilla gardening” that created People’s Park on a vacant University-owned lot in 1969, California Governor Ronald Reagan authorized military helicopters to spray tear gas on campus protesters. National Guard militia turned the city into a military occupation zone, complete with a nightly curfew and emergency laws against public assembly. In the wake of “The Battle of Berkeley,” numerous townspeople were happy to display a student-made poster declaring that theirs was a “Home for Peace.”

Creator

Unknown Artist

Source

Cushing Collection

Date

c. 1970

Physical Dimensions

18 1/2'' x 7 3/4''

Citation

Unknown Artist, “Home for Peace,” Environmental Design Archives Exhibitions, accessed September 25, 2017, http://exhibits.ced.berkeley.edu/items/show/1673.