In 1947, Brian left his position with the American Red Cross to join Edith in the business—Heath Ceramics. They leased a large workspace on the third floor of the Mason Building in Sausalito and moved their expanding ceramic operations. Shortly thereafter they moved their life “across the bridge”. The Heaths, with Eral Leek and his wife Eleanor [Kenny] purchased the Dorothea, a barge docked at the Sausalito shipyard. Eral and Edith designed and outfitted two living spaces on it. In 1949, the Heaths floated the barge to a piece of waterfront property they purchased on the Tiburon peninsula. Eventually, the Heaths bought out the Leeks and developed the property on Paradise Drive to include the barge, gardens, a tennis court and tennis house. The ‘Barge’ attracted much attention in the local community.
Once the barge was located on land, Edith collaborated with landscape architect and friend Robert Royston in the design of the exterior spaces, placing her ceramic works throughout his biomorphic landscape design.