In 1945 Garrett Eckbo collaborated on a site plan for the Peninsula Housing Association called Ladera with Robert Royston and architects Joseph Stein and John Funk with whom he then shared an office. The Ladera proposal consisted of 400 single-family houses on a 256-acre tract south of San Francisco near Palo Alto. The development was intended to create a rural community whose indoor-outdoor homes were complemented by the landscape. Only a small portion of the development was actually built because a loan from the Federal Housing Authority fell through, thought to be due to the fact that Ladera intended to be a racially integrated community. By 1949, only 35 homes were built and the tract was sold to Eichler Homes.